Sunday, January 14, 2007

I HATE SNOW

Temperatures under freezing suck... when you are an avid cyclist. We have had a week of snow and sub-freezing temps over the last week here in Seattle. I have been feeling sluggier and sluggier because I have not been able to get outside.

I have had to focus on building out my latest project bike. I came across a mid-1980's Mercier road bike at the thrift store and I have been getting her cleaned up. French electric blue with white handlebar tape, brake cable housing and brake hoods. Going to be a real looker when I get it done. She's got Campy brakes and shifters, Nervar cranks. The wheels use Maillard Helico-matic hubs with Mavic rims. The frame is a Columbus Tre-Tubi Cro-MO.

It has been a real trick finding some of this stuff. The cable housings just took a little calling around here in town. Elliott Bay bicycles had the white housing. The brake hoods were a little trickier. I had to get them from a guy in England who sent them along a couple days ago. The original hoods were gum, but these are a milky white, which actually looks better with the other white treatments. The decals have been trashed. There were a number of white lettering graphics that have been scratched off pretty bad. The one on the top tube read "Bordeaux Paris" and the one on the down tube reads "Le Velo de Mercier." I have been in contact with the guy at Velo Graphics to get a bid on re-doing the decals.

I am still a bit uncertain what to do with this beauty. I'm torn between turning her into a fixie and keeping it and just fixing it up and selling it. I have not seen a bike like it on eBay or Craigslist, but other Mercier's seem to go for a pretty penny ($300-450 typically). I could use the cash to fund my other habit... guitar playing!

Ciao!

3 comments:

  1. I know this has been a couple of years since the original post but I just bought the same bike from a craigslist posting. The only difference I can see is mine is red with Prix de Cannes on the top tube. It has been very well taken care of and rides amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phillip, Do you still have that bike? i have the same one and I'm wondering about any history you might know of it? i can't seem to find any info on the "Prix de Cannes" on the top tube.

      Thanks,

      email me back at grahammccall@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. I bought this same bike (red with "Prix de Cannes" on the top tube and "Le Velo de Mercier" on the downtube) in 1985 in Norfolk, VA for $300 from a guy who was a Mercier manufacturer's rep. It has a complete pristine Campy "Nuovo Record" gruppo including Campy brakes, quick-release hubs and seat post. Has Mavic rims. He had two he had used as merchandise demos in the USA and was selling them off. I still have it and it's in great shape... except for the downtube "Le Velo..." decal. I've heard these are fairly rare collectibles now... was once offered $1200 for it about 20 years ago, but didn't take it.

      Anyone else out there with one of these rare gems?

      Delete

Let me know what you think!