Monday, February 15, 2010

Raleigh Twenty pump- on the way

I found one! Just scouting around on eBay and came across a vintage air pump for the Raleigh Twenty. Not cheap and it's being shipped from England, so it will be a week or so.

 

In case anyone is wondering, the seller of this pump went to the length of measuring each of the dimensions.  from the eBay post:

"HERE WE HAVE A VINTAGE OLD RALEIGH  20  HAND PUMP OFF THE FRAME NICE AND WORKING OK   THE BOTTOM TUBE IS 26 CM   AND THE MIDDLE PULLED UP IS 12 CM  AND THE TOP IS 8 CM  , THE PUMP END BIT IS 14 CM"

I also splurged on a black Brooks Challenge saddle bag... This bike will be something to see..

I also spent a couple hours replacing the rear cog back to the original 15-T sprocket over the weekend. The hard part was adjusting the chain. It seems like it is either too short, barely catching the dropouts or, adding in the extra link, it's too long, hanging even with the wheel all the way back. I opted to keep it tight. But it made a huge difference to the ride- much faster on the top end.

Charles


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPod Touch

2 comments:

  1. You have to use odd tooth cogs to get the chain to work out properly or use a half link if you use even count sprockets. Is that pump aluminum or white plastic. FWIW I took a set of measurments on both the standard pump for the full sized Raleigh bikes as well as the Twenty. I only have one Twenty pump at the moment, but am waiting for another one to show up one of these days.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaron,

    Thanks for the advise on chain/cog issues. I thought it was a 15T cog... I may have counted wrong :-)

    The pump looks to be white plastic. Its being shipped from north England, almost the Scottish border. The ad on eBay said it came off a Twenty. We'll see. It's not here yet.

    charles

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!