Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Twenty, cafe style

This is how the Brown Twenty likes to roll on a semi-overcast morn outside of Seattle... Cafe Style!



I rode in to work today on the brown guy (I really need some names for the bikes). Street clothes! Stopped by the library on the way in to drop off some books - it's amazing how well designed a Pletscher rack is. It snugged the books down just fine, even over bumps. I am going to need to look for some new pedals though. The antique ones I picked up from eBay and shipped from England are very creaky. Wondering about bearing replacement? Is it even worth it?

~charles


PS- Some really exciting news to post this Saturday!!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Factoria Blvd SE,Bellevue,United States

3 comments:

  1. If the pedals are the older style you can disassemble them and grease the bearings. I am considering and upgrade on my pedals due to foot slippage in marginal conditions, just haven't made the decision as to what pedals I want to use.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. NOw that I see the pedals on the Raleigh Tourist, I'm with you on upgrading. The ones I had sent from England are kind of... well, trash. I hate to admit it, but every so often we make mistakes.

    ~charles

    ReplyDelete
  3. The original rubber block pedals were quite serviceable, problem is they started adding plastic to the rubber making them harder and more prone to foot slippage. I usually use MKS Sylvan Touring pedals as an all around pedal, the only thing they don't work well with are leather soled dress shoes. There is something you can slip over your shoes to improve grip, but what it was escapes me at the moment. Saw it on another blog a while back. These are the same pedals I use on my city bike with half clips.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!