Wednesday, August 27, 2014

1966 Raleigh RSW Carry-All: UPDATE

Well, this has been a while coming, but I finally got the bag out and did some measurements of all the plywood and cardboard panels inside the bag.  At first I thought this was going to be a problem getting them out to measure.  And it would have been, if all the rivets had remained in place.  As it was, none of the bag fabric was actually attached to the panels, so they slid right out.

I measured all the places I could and created the following "blueprints:"



The side panels were a little difficult to identify exactly where some points start and end as the front and bottom corners are significanlty rounded, about 1/2" from the start of the rount to the corner.  All the measurements for rivet holes are to the center of the hole.

One thing I found out as I pulled it apart was that there is a bracket under the bottom panel that has two guides to hold the side panels in place. You can see them in the image below.

The back part of the side panel just slide to the outside edge.  There is no guide on the back.



These final image shows the bottom "tab."  The back panel slides in to slot over this.



One other thing.  I did some research on what kind of tartan fabric this is.  The closest I could come was that this was a variation of Campbell Dress Tartan.  Here are a couple images of the tartans I could find:



I think it is closest to the second sample.  I couldn't tell how to purchase this fabric or how much it might cost.  My plan now is to try and find an automotive upholsterer who might be willing to tackle a small job like this.  They may have access to more unique fabrics like this.

Well that is it for now.  Hope this helps anyone who is thinking of trying to make one of these.

charles

UPDATE: 1/23/2017

Here are some more detailed pictures of the rivets and snaps along the top outer edge of the box and inside.  These rivets seem to stiffen the top edge and fit into the cutouts along the side panels...


Here is the outside of the bag.  The left side of the image is the BACK of the bag that opens up.  Note the three rivets along the top.  There is also a snap just above the last rivet to the right.  I believe this is original to the bag and keeps the top from flopping all the way open and wrecking the rather fragile attachment to the main body of the bag.

Here is the inside view.  The right hand side of the image is now the back of the bag.  Notice the snap does NOT come all the way through... only the rivets.  These rivets slot into the cutouts in the plywood side panels.


Close ups of the outside rivet and snap area AND the inside of a rivet.  The are pretty unique rivets.

Hope this helps!  If anyone needs additional photos or descriptions of these bikes, I'm happy to get the information to you.

charles




5 comments:

  1. Had a word with a company I do a lot of work for....they can sort the pvc vinyl part out no problem.......Tartan design is available but could be expensive as they have to order a minimum roll length as they don't use tartan at all. I can sort the ply panels from your design
    Looks like we can get the bag made but it may differ slightly from the original
    Will look into it and keep you posted

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stuart, that sounds great. Let me know how it proceeds. I'm going to keep looking for an upholsterer or auto interior guy to see if there is any way to get it done that way. I'll keep my eyes open for fabric sources as well. There is a place here in Seattle called Utilikilt that makes Scottish kilts. They may have a line on the stuff too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charles,
      I’m starting the same project … some miles away from you. I’m a Raleigh RSW lover from Italy and in general a restaurer for hobby of old bikes, mainly of Italian firms, but Raleigh is a pleasant exception.
      I want to manufacturer a RSW Carry-all for my new RSW16 and your drawings are amazing to do that job. I have only one doubt, concerning the “side panels”: what is the use of the three hollows on the top side of the side panels ( two of them are 1”x3/4” and that one in the corner 1 ¼”x 1 ¼”)? Many thanks and have a good Sunday

      Delete
    2. Hello Andrea! Thanks for the comment. We share similar interests it seems... I have been looking at the Bianchi folders-they rarely come up for sale here- as another avenue for my bike passion.. my wife isn't so keen on it though!

      The cutouts in the plywood side panels are to allow for rivets pass through the fabric from the outside to the inside. I've taken 4 pictures of an intact bag that I have. I will post them and some additional comments here.

      Let me know if you want any other photos or descriptions. I have three RSW 16 bicycles, one a folder, the other two rigid frame. They don't see a lot of street-time, but they are fun bikes.

      all the best- charles

      Delete
  3. Thank’s a lot Charles for fresh information: now it is quite clear for me, but … a question leads to another in “our world” :)
    Now I am wondering why they don’t fix with the rivets also to the wood in those position. My initial first assumption was that they design the Carry-all cover in order to make it removable and washable, but I see that there are rivets (in the back and in the front panel) that are fixed also to the wood and make the cover not removable from the frame … then I could not give me an answer. What is your opinion?

    Concerning your interest for Bianchi folder model, I think you mean the model in this youtube video: https://youtu.be/biPt7f9Kvfw. I like it too: it is a very particular model.
    In anu case take into consideration that, in Italy, in early ‘60, the manufacturer that have the first flair for folding bikes was “Teodoro Carnielli”. He called the folding bikes “Graziella”, and organize an incredible marketing plan for that times. He assigned the design project to a well know designer Rinaldo Donzelli, he patented the design shape, he choose as testimonials Brigitte Bardot and Salvador Dalì (http://www.lagraziella.com/it/storia/testimonianze-del-passato/index.html), push with advertising on the main newspaper and …. started a new style for bicycle in Italy: it was a very big success!
    Thereafter started the followers, small and big bicycle Company, most of the them had a good success, but in the memories of that time “folding bike” is Graziella Carnielli, indeed in Italy all the folding bikes models are called today, in the common language, “Graziella” (indeed folding bike) despite the model and the manufacturer.
    I am crazy for them … and wy wife “my wife isn't so keen on it though!” … :)
    I have restaured many of them, probably twenty, until now. Some of them are still in my collection, others are in the collection of a person that wants all the ‘60 years cathalog and many are waiting to start restauration (both for me both for the other collector).

    All the best - Andrea

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!